Why HVAC maintenance is important
Are you finding your utility bills getting higher for no reason, especially at peak seasons when your HVAC system is running most? One of the best reasons to get regular HVAC maintenance is to save money. When your air conditioner and heater is running efficiently, it costs less to run it. If your system is well-maintained, it will run efficiently, and you’ll save money.
Regular preventative maintenance will also save you money on repair costs. Let’s say you’ve scheduled furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill really sets in, and the HVAC technician discovers a fan motor isn’t working quite right. Every part of your heating system relies on the others to work right. A broken, failing fan motor could lead to your furnace overheating, and, if left alone, that could lead to expensive repairs or even premature system replacement. If the technician catches the problem soon enough, the fan motor can be repaired or replaced and you’re not out thousands of dollars on a new system. If you want to save money with air conditioning & heating maintenance in Cumming, GA, set up a maintenance plan with Kennon Heating & Air Conditioning by calling 678-203-4784.
What is included in furnace maintenance?
When you set up a furnace maintenance service, you’re getting a thorough tune-up and inspection of your system. This means every component is checked, adjusted, cleaned or lubricated, and tested. Specifically, your HVAC technician will:
- Inspect vents and air intake grilles and remove anything blocking them.
- Look at the heat exchanger and make sure it’s not damaged or corroded.
- Check and test blower motor for amp draw and check the electrical connections, replacing and repairing damaged wiring.
- Inspect burners and sensors and examine belts for damage.
- Inspect and calibrate the thermostat.
- Clean or replace the air filter.
- Test safety controls and the start-up cycle.
How often should you have your furnace serviced?
You should schedule regular furnace maintenance at least once per year. It’s preferable to schedule this maintenance service in the fall before usage hits its peak in the winter.
Are furnace maintenance plans worth it?
Signing up for a furnace maintenance plan can be valuable in some instances. While you might get lucky and never need a repair, a maintenance plan can offer you a little peace of mind knowing your system is working efficiently. You’ll also be alerted to any potential problems that can be prevented before they create real havoc for your system, such as overheating. Regular maintenance will also benefit older HVAC systems, especially if they are older than 10 years. Moreover, some manufacturer’s warranties are voided if you do not sign up for a plan. Plans are also generally inexpensive, and often can be paid in installments.
Furnace maintenance tips for winter
While having a regular maintenance plan in place can save you money over the long term, as you prepare for winter, you can follow these tips to ensure your heater is going to keep you warm throughout the season:
- Change the filter regularly, about four times during the year.
- Set up a regular professional maintenance plan, especially if the unit is 10 years old or older.
- Check your warranty so you know what’s covered and for how long if repairs are needed.
- If need repairs, don’t try to fix it yourself. Rely on experts like those at Kennon Heating & Air Conditioning.
- Clean your air ducts, especially after any home renovations or other repairs.
Is furnace cleaning worth it?
You want to keep your furnace running as smoothly as possible through the coldest part of the year. With yearly furnace maintenance, service components are cleaned and lubricated as needed. And while this will keep your system serviceable, it might not get rid of all the dirt, dust, and grime that accumulates over the years. From time-to-time, you might want to have your whole HVAC system cleaned. A thorough cleaning includes the furnace and air conditioner as well as your air ducts. This will clear the dust and debris in the air that your furnace circulates when it is heating your home.
How do you know when your furnace needs to be replaced?
No matter how often you perform furnace maintenance, your furnace will eventually come to a point where it needs to be replaced. Some common signs that will alert you that it’s time to replace your furnace include:
- Unusual odors, like a strong smell of fuel or burnt odor that doesn’t go away
- Turning the unit on and keeping it on is difficult
- Discoloration of the pilot light, especially if the light is yellow and not blue
- No heat or low heat is produced
- Noises like persistent whistling, groaning, or banging
- Reduction of air quality
- Carbon monoxide detector inside the unit gets tripped
HVAC maintenance for commercial buildings
HVAC systems for commercial buildings also need to have regular maintenance at least yearly. As with a home, furnace maintenance should be performed in the fall, while air conditioner maintenance should be performed in the spring. Whether residential or commercial, when you need furnace maintenance in Cumming, GA, get help from the trusted professionals at Kennon Heating & Air Conditioning. You can set up a maintenance plan by calling 678-203-4784.